Tuesday, August 5, 2014

12 hours of sleep and a 12 mile run!?

Well today I ended up sleeping in a ton. Since my last flare I have been trying to give my body what it wants with high training while I can until school starts again on 8/18. Last night I ended up doing 2:10 on the treadmill which is just as horrible as it sounds and I fell asleep around 11:30pm. I woke up this morning at 11:45AM...that is 12 hours of sleep. I could not believe it, I had slept straight through without waking up.

For a workout today I ended up doing my Wednesday run in combination with the 20 minutes from the run yesterday I missed so it ended up being about 12 miles of running at a 7 min/mile pace which was really great considering I ran about 17 miles yesterday. I also just felt like I wanted to run today with music so I decided to switch up the workout routine. I also made the mistake of looking ahead, and the next three weeks of training are absolutely rigorous. I thought they might be winding down but it looks like I stay at this intensity until August 26th. It will definitely be tough to juggle with school but for now it is full steam ahead.

I also received a lot of great news related to the Arthritis Foundation and Ironman. Drum roll please, say hello to BIB NUMBER #455 at the 2014 Ironman Wisconsin! I also found out that I will be serving as the Medical Honoree for the Arthritis Foundations Run/Walk to Milwaukee Irish Fest on August 16th. In addition, the AF intern Molly has reached out to UW Healths Marketing and Public Relations Office and a staff person there seems really interested in my story and recently asked me if I would be okay with a TV interview. To be honest, I am extremely overwhelmed by the spotlight and humbled. I finally feel like these six months of training and all of my good days and bad have a deeper meaning beyond myself reaching my dream goal of completing an Ironman. Hopefully I can inspire and raise awareness for the millions of people living with arthritis. Feels good to do good.

No comments:

Post a Comment